Sparkle. Twinkle. Glitter.Ground. Manifest. Thriving during the Holiday Season as an Empath.
So, it’s that time of year again. We love it. We dread it. It’s a whole lot of work, a whole lot of money and a whole lot of energy to deal with. Why do we love it so much? Well, my thought is because of the twinkle lights everywhere. Twinkle lights and hugging…lots and lots of hugging. Oh, and food…we love the food. So, how does that effect an empathic person? Well, come on…it effects us PLENTY. Instead of being a victim to our sensitivity, we can totally use our gift as the super power that it truly is. Here is a list of handy dandy tricks and tactics to help us get from turkey to champagne without too much twitchiness.
When empathic people are around peace. love and happiness, their bodies and minds and energy assimilate to that energy. That is the best case scenario for any empath. However, during the holiday season, Peace Love and Happiness are often just written on Christmas cards and the opposite is true in real life. The stress of shopping, difficult people and the demands of work can be very real and daunting. Unfortunately, as an empath we not only feel our own stress, but we can pick up and claim the stressful energy of those people around us.
Crowds or negativity, can often feel assaultive, exhausting, and overwhelming to an empath.
For empaths to fully enjoy the holidays with family, friends, and co-workers it is important for them to learn how to protect themselves and find balance. If you are a more extroverted empath, parties may seem like a piece of cake compared to our introverted brothers and sisters. That is a tricky bit, because we extroverted empaths are so busy putting energy out there and trying to manipulate the energy of a space, we often don’t notice how depleted we get and we also don’t notice when suddenly we change to the energy in the room instead of the energy of room changing to us.
Since I’m an empath of the latter persuasion, I want to be sure we all understand how energy effects us and how we effect the energy around us for better or worse.
I’ve always been hyper-attuned to other people’s moods, good and bad. Before I understood that I had conscious control over how I was being effected, I let everyone take root, take a sip and stay awhile.. After being in crowds I would leave feeling anxious, depressed, nauseated or tired. When I got home, I’d just crawl into bed, yearning for peace and quiet.
So, Here are a few strategies to help you manage your sensitivity more effectively and stay centered without absorbing negative energies and without stinking up the energy around us ( we aren’t unicorns, our energy is powerful and if our energy is stinky, we will stink up the room)
- Be Proactive: Before you are going to be in any group large or small, ground yourself. Figure out a quick little secret handshake of a grounding ritual that you can use to ground yourself at a moments notice anywhere you are. You can find many rituals online. My favorite is to imagine that a beam of sunshine shines into my head and through my body and then grows roots out of my feet. You can also pretend that your shoes are full of cement. Another secret one that I do in public is to sit quietly and focus on my feet. I feel each toe and what how it feels in my shoe. I will also imagine that my feet are sinking into the floor that seems to be made of play dough. Washing your hands in cold water will ground you too. Breathing deeply will help to center you, as well. A good deep breathing exercise will help you get centered and connected so that you can ask your angels and the Divine for some assistance.
- Before you head out, get in the right frame of mind. How are you skewing? Negative or positive? So we can figure this out fairly quickly. Close your eyes. When you open your eyes look around the room. Allow your eyes to fall on one thing. Look at that thing wholly. Describe it completely. Maybe think of how it got the way it is. Write down all of the things you think. Are your first comments negative or positive? Did you notice the bad before the good?
- Carry some crystals that will help. Smoky Quartz will turn negative energy into positive energy. Apache Tear will ground you. Rose Quartz to help keep you in a place of love. Pyrite will keep psychic attack at bay ( please understand that what I am talking about isn’t some hoo doo hocus pocus. It can be someone bad mouthing someone else, it can be a dirty look from across the room… don’t get all crazy thinking you can’t be festive at the holidays for fear that someone is gonna put a hoo doo on you. It just doesn’t happen like that.)
- Eat good stuff all day before. Drink herbal tea. Eat fruits and veggies raw if possible. Don’t eat a ton of meat. Raise your body’s alkaline level. Higher vibrational foods will heal your aura, make you vibrate at a higher frequency and keep your mood happy. Sugary treats and such will drag your energy down. Remember the higher your energy the less likely you will attract negative energy.
- Define and honor your empathic needs. Safeguard your sensitivities. In a calm, collected moment, make a list of your top five most emotionally rattling situations. Then formulate a plan for handling them so you don’t fumble in the moment. Here are some practical examples of what to do in situations that predictably stymie empaths.
- If someone asks too much of you, politely tell them “no.” It’s not necessary to explain why. If you feel you have to explain, just tell the person that you are overloaded at the moment and that you are sorry.
- If someone wants to talk politics, politely say that you are on a no politics for the holidays diet and you will be happy to catch up in the new year.
- A family member asks intruding questions…think of a funny response, tell them you love them and walk away.
- Know your comfort level for socializing. even if you adore the people—take your own car or have an alternate transportation plan so you’re not stranded. I tell people that I am afraid of being held hostage. It used to put people off, but now they laugh at it. Just smile and be happy while you tell them.
- If crowds are overwhelming, eat some high protein. It will ground you.) and sit in the far corner of, say, a theatre or party, not dead center.
- If you are around someone who is making your prickle or making your uncomfortable, then Move away. When possible, distance yourself by at least twenty feet from the suspected source. See if you feel relief. Don’t err on the side of not wanting to offend anyone. At any gathering try not to sit next to the identified energy vampire. Physical closeness increases empathy. If you know that there is someone there that makes you uncomfortable, just find a buddy and sit by them. Even if the offender sits next to you, you can focus harder on your friend.
- Breathe. If you suspect you are picking up someone else’s energies, concentrate on your breath for a few minutes. This is centering and connects you source. Holding your breath keeps the negative energy inside you. So act like the Green Mile dude, Blow that crap out. Breath in the happy, breathe out the crappy. Focus on the cool air on the tip of your nose when you breathe in. I’m cool. I’m Cool.
- Do some sneaky me time Meditation. Be sure to meditate before the gathering, centering yourself, connecting to spirit, feeling your heart. Get strong. If you counter emotional or physical distress while at an event, act fast and do a quick breathing exercise. Go to the bathroom and look at your eyes. Breathe and look into your eyes so that you can see yourself and reconnect with you.
- Set healthy limits and boundaries. Control how much time you spend listening to stressful people, and learn to say “no.” Set clear limits and boundaries with people, nicely cutting them off at the pass if they get critical or mean.
- Visualize protection. Call in Archangel Michael. Ask him to surround you with protective energy. Make an energy ball and put in on your head like a helmet.
- Use Aromatherapy. A few years ago I made flannel mustaches and scented them with essential oils for an event that I was attending that was very stressful. They worked wonders. The mustache made us all laugh and the aromatherapy blend lifted my spirits. Those two things made my energy vibrate at a higher frequency.
- When you leave clap your hands. Take some deep breaths. Disconnect from the party.
If all else fails and you absorb stressful or negative energy while away when you get home, take a bath or shower. There are clearing bath recipes and procedures on this blog. Please feel free to clear your precious energy with them. Momma say you need a bath!
So, Have a fabulous whatever you celebrate. Remember that there is a reason for whatever holiday you celebrate. I urge you to put your focus there and draw peace.
Love you meeces to pieces!